Woman suffers slight burns to face in Shamokin Township fire
SHAMOKIN TOWNSHIP — Quick thinking from a relative may have prevented serious injury and saved a home Friday afternoon.
Fire crews were called at 12:08 p.m. for a kitchen fire at 1279 Old Reading Road, approximately 300 yards away from the Indian Hills Golf and Tennis Club.
Elysburg Assistant Fire Chief Bob Dluge reported homeowner Lorraine Chicalo was making something to eat when grease caught fire in the kitchen, splashing up and hitting her in the face.
Chicalo’s visiting sister, Sister Marie Hirsch, of Immaculata, pulled Chicalo away from the area, then grabbed a fire extinguisher and knocked down the fire.
“It was pretty much out when we arrived on scene,” Dluge said. “There was a little bit of extension of the fire inside the kitchen cabinets, so we emptied them and extinguished it.”
Both women were treated at the scene by members of the Elysburg Ambulance Squad. Stonington Fire Chief Kerry Yordy reported both women were fine after being checked out by paramedics.
Dluge said there was extensive damage in the kitchen in the immediate area where the fire occurred, with smoke damage throughout the rest of the residence.
Crews from Elysburg, Overlook, Stonington, Shamokin, Upper Augusta Township and Sunbury assisted. The blaze was out by approximately 12:30 p.m. and crews were called back in service by 1:30 p.m.
The quick end to the fire was a different outcome than the last fire call just three days earlier, an early Christmas morning fire that destroyed the Route 61 mobile home of Paul Shingara, and causing him and his girlfriend, Tammy Zelinskie, to escape the home with just the clothes on their backs as flames ripped through the structure.
“We were quiet for the past 45 days,” Yordy said at the scene, “and now this is the fifth incident call we’ve had since Christmas.”