UPDATE: Authorities identify girl who died in fire
SHAMOKIN — Melissa “Missy” Pangburn has been identified as the 13-year-old girl who was killed in today's three-alarm fire on South Rock Street.
She was pronounced dead by James F. Kelley, Northumberland County coroner, at 12:45 p.m. inside her third-floor bedroom at 5 S. Rock St.
She was a seventh-grade student at Shamokin Area Middle-High School.
Toxicology tests performed at Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital, Coal Township, determined her death was caused by carbon monoxide toxicity. Her manner of death is accidental.
Kelley released the information to the media at 5:29 p.m.
Investigators continue to work at the scene of the three-alarm fire toward determining a cause.
Chief of Police Ed Griffiths said earlier today the girl was trapped on the third floor. She was found deceased at 12:05 p.m. by firefighters, the chief said.
The fire, which started just before 11 a.m., spread to homes from 1 to 9 S. Rock St. The homes at 1, 5 and 7 S. Rock St. were all occupied; 3 and 9 S. Rock St. were vacant.