Shamokin gas leak brings out authorities; charge pending against tenant
SHAMOKIN — A drug charge is pending against a city tenant after emergency responders were called to a Sunbury Street home Tuesday for a natural gas leak.
Patrolman Raymond Siko II said drug paraphernalia including smoking pipes and bongs were found inside 233 W. Sunbury St., occupied by Adam Moore, 28, and Jessica McCollum, 32.
Siko said a paraphernalia-related charge is pending against Moore. McCollum was taken from the scene to the police station but has no charges pending, he said.
Rick Bozza, city code officer, said the home would be deemed unfit for human habitation after animal feces, insects and garbage were found inside. Several related code violations are pending, he said.
According to Northumberland County Tax Assessment Bureau, the home is owned by Robert and Cindy Santore.
The gas leak was reported about 1 p.m.; however, there was no active gas service. Bruce Rogers, battalion chief of Shamokin Fire Bureau, said the leak was believed to be caused as an oil tank was being moved. It bumped the pipes where a meter would be connected and caused the leak, he said.
UGI gas employees temporarily plugged the pipe, Rogers said. Emergency personnel opened windows and doors and used electric fans for ventilation.
Traffic on Sunbury Street between Sixth and Market streets was closed as the scene was investigated. It reopened about 1:50 p.m.
A third person was at the home but fled prior to the arrival of police. An investigation into the gas leak is ongoing, Siko said.
Emergency personnel entered a nearby property at 237 W. Sunbury St., which is abandoned and in tax claims escrow, to ensure that gas had not accumulated inside. It was noted that copper had been stripped from the basement, and an entryway at the rear of the home was to be sealed off. The property was last owned by Pamela Adrian, according to the county assessment bureau.