SHAMOKIN — Firefighters responded at approximately 10:30 p.m. Saturday to a fire at a corner row home at 101 N. Marshall St., about two blocks from the Northumberland County Career and Arts Center.
There was heavy damage on the second and third floors of the building. According to initial reports, inhabitants on the second floor had to quickly evacuate when the fire broke out.
Firemen contained the fire quickly; by 11 p.m., it was under control. Heavy smoke was billowing from the structure, and firefighters were busy searching for and dousing remaining hot spots and flames.
According to witnesses at the scene, the house was occupied by Salvatore Jones, a renter. A person who was in the house at the time the alarm was called in said the fire is believed to be electrical in nature.
Shamokin Police Officer Jarod Scandle, who was first on the scene, said those who were in the structure were able to evacuate without injury. Heavy smoke was coming out of the second floor, he added. Scandle entered the structure with a fire extinguisher, but was turned back by the intense heat and smoke.
More information will be available in Monday’s edition of The News-Item.