- If Paula Deen, formerly of the Food Network, was a black rapper, her show never would have been canceled or her cookbooks bused out of Walmart by the trailer load. Rather, Deen would be celebrated and pick up at least a Grammy or three. There is not one soul I know of or read who believes the 66-year-old Deen is prejudiced toward blacks. There is no denying that Deen's Southern delicacies are prepared with plenty of artery-clogging ingredients. In no way does Deen's down-home cuisine discriminate in how many groups of people will succumb to heart failure or diabetes with a daily diet of such culinary delights.
- The July 15 issue of The New Yorker depicted the Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie snuggling on a couch watching television with Bert's head nestled on Ernie's shoulder. The television showed the official portrait of the U.S. Supreme Court. The folks at Sesame Street said in a statement that Bert and Ernie "have always portrayed nothing but a platonic interest in one another." After all, it's a show for preschoolers. For liberals, that's not enough, as even preschool characters are manipulated into propaganda for the gay movement. Besides abortion, nothing incites liberals more than promoting the gay agenda. Stealing a child's virtue by prematurely sexualizing them and rendering Bert and Ernie as gay underscores just how devoid liberals are of any decency, morality or sensitivity.
- If that's not enough, the state of Colorado declared that a first-grade boy who dresses like a girl may use the girls' restroom when classes reconvene. Last semester, the boy was allowed to use a bathroom in the nurse's office rather than the girls' bathroom. Now, his girl classmates will share their bathroom with him. How tragic for this young boy. Nevertheless, such abnormal behavior does not validate his female classmates to be subjected to such insensitivity and gender confusion at age 7.
- As president, Bill Clinton signed the Defense of Marriage Act, but Clinton has since "evolved" by praising the reversal by the Supreme Court's Furious Five. This is no surprise since Clinton has been against his own marriage for decades. Fabricating gay marriage as a justifiable and legitimate civil institution gives it a free pass over any semblance of morality and dishonors traditional marriage and its importance to the health of every society. Marriage without openness to new life only sabotages our own humanity. Children need and depend upon a society that upholds the truth of traditional marriage. When we fail to preserve this simple truth, we do so at our own peril.
- The taxpayer cost of Obama's jaunt to Africa was a cool $100 million. And folks wonder why those White House tours were quashed for the summer and beyond. There's no substitute like cashing in on those office perks after being re-elected. From a political standpoint, handing out free phones never looked so good.
- Recently, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Obama was quoted saying that Catholic and Protestant schools should be closed because they divide communities, "If we can't see ourselves in one another, if fear and resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages co-operation." Obama's dishonesty is startling as he purposefully ignores the pivotal role both Catholic and Protestant schools had in bringing an end to Northern Ireland's hostilities.
- Provided Obama is so concerned about "division," on his next foreign junket he should stop in Pakistan or, better yet, head to the kingdom and visit our great allies in Saudi Arabia and lecture them about closing down their madrasses. Madrasses are Islamic institutions financed by the Saudis that advocate jihad against anyone not Muslim. Obama has no problem offending Catholics and Evangelicals from abortion and gay marriage to conscience rights, while being amenable about Islamic sensitivities while consciously disregarding jihadist activities.
- Note to John Kerry and the State Department: If New England Patriot owner Robert Kraft can't embarrass Russian tyrant Valdimir Putin to return the Super Bowl ring he pocketed from Kraft, there's no way the Russians are parting with Edward Snowden anytime soon.
- Detroit is the first major American city ever to file for bankruptcy, a dubious honor that has plenty of implications. The hope is that Uncle Sam is paying attention to the cause and effect of monstrous debt coupled with unsustainable entitlements. If anything, Detroit should be one big red flag - not an example.
- Bob Adams tells me George Zimmerman needs to change his name to Ben Gazi to guarantee his fade into obscurity.
(Greg Maresca, a local freelance writer, composes "Talking Points" for each Sunday edition.)