SHAMOKIN - A young couple charged with stealing a sport utility vehicle (SUV) and eluding police for nearly nine hours in December while transporting an unrestrained 9-month-old boy were ordered to appear for plea court March 25 after waiving their rights to preliminary hearings before Magisterial District Judge John Gembic III on Tuesday.

David Anthony Pavloski II, 22, of 42 N. Maple St., Mount Carmel, and Courtney Klemick, 20, of 222 Second St., Wilburton No. 1, waived their cases to the Court of Common Pleas, where they can plead guilty or no contest, or seek a trial by pleading not guilty.

They were charged by Coal Township Patrolman Christopher Lapotsky with felonies of theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property, and a misdemeanor of criminal mischief in connection with incidents on Dec. 12.

Pavloski, who was represented by Attorney Peter Campana of Williamsport, was temporarily recommitted to Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury to await his transfer to a state correctional institution for a parole violation.

Klemick, who has been incarcerated at the county jail for approximately six weeks in lieu of $20,000 cash bail, was represented by Northumberland County Special Conflicts Counsel Michael Seward. Gembic released Klemick on unsecured bail on the Coal Township charges, but the defendant remains incarcerated on additional charges filed by Mount Carmel Township police in connection with the same incidents.

According to a criminal complaint, Jessica Long, of 1125 W. Gowen St., Coal Township, told police she and her boyfriend, Chris Powell, were at home with Klemick and Pavloski, who are boyfriend and girlfriend, while Klemick's young son was upstairs sleeping.

Long said Klemick got into an altercation with Pavloski. She said she wanted Pavloski to leave, but without Klemick and her baby. But the couple left with the baby, she told police. At approximately 2:28 a.m., they took a 2003 Buick Rendezvous that Long was borrowing from her grandmother, Rita Reilly.

Lapotsky responded to Long's house after the vehicle was taken. While he was there, Mount Carmel Township Patrolman Dan Politza spotted the stolen vehicle on Route 901 near Locust Gap and pursued it. However, the driver would not stop and the vehicle reached speeds of 80 mph, Politza reported. Since he knew a child was in the vehicle, Politza terminated the pursuit.

It was reported that Pavloski and Klemick allegedly abandoned the vehicle along a rocky path behind homes along Tiffany Lane in Wilburton near Pavloski's former residence. Police found the vehicle and located Pavloski and Klemick a short time later in the home.

The baby was turned over to his grandfather, Kerry Klemick, 57, of 222 Second St., Wilburton. The child was later placed in the care of his father, Thomas Stanton, of Shenandoah, according to Kerry Klemick.