It was a stunning story that played out over 17 hours, starting in Mount Carmel and ending at a hotel in the Philadelphia suburbs.

A former police officer who previously worked part time with Kulpmont, Mount Carmel, Mount Carmel Township and Butler Township police departments was shot and killed May 28 by U.S. Marshals.

Anthony James Galla, 31, was wanted by Mount Carmel Police after being charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and other crimes following a shooting earlier that day inside the home of Marlene Lloyd, 244 S. Walnut St.

According to the criminal complaint, Galla entered Lloyd's home while she was asleep with her boyfriend, Daniel McNally, 48. McNally told police he was awakened by his girlfriend screaming, "Anthony, no!" McNally said the intruder, shining a flashlight in his face, asked him if he was "Dan," and he said "yes."

Galla eventually fired several shots toward McNally, hitting him once in the foot, before fleeing.

An investigation led the marshals, state police and officers from Upper Darby Police Department to the Summit Inn Hotel in Upper Darby.

According to police, Galla pointed a loaded .40-caliber Glock handgun at a U.S. marshal outside the window of his second-floor hotel room. The marshal opened fire. When three other marshals inside the hotel heard the gunshots, they kicked in the door to Galla's room and also fired.

Galla never fired a shot, but was prepared to do so, according to Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood. Chitwood said a bulletproof vest, 500 rounds of ammunition, shotgun shells, ammunition for an AR-15 rifle, the .40-caliber Glock, a pepper spray grenade, a mask, hatchets and knives were found by officers during a search of the hotel room.

Another search warrant revealed an AR-15 rifle with a 30-round magazine fully loaded, four additional .30-caliber magazines and 150 rounds of ammunition in the trunk of a Honda Accent rented by Galla that was parked outside the hotel.

Police said Galla's brother attempted to convince his sibling to turn himself over to authorities and alerted Galla after spotting marshals setting up surveillance at the hotel. The 23-year-old girlfriend of Galla's brother hid inside a bathroom in the hotel room where the fugitive was shot, police said.