SUNBURY - The young man shot by Sunbury Police in the torso after the teen allegedly attempted to run over an officer at the conclusion of a June 5 high-speed chase will be back in court in March.

Naheem J. Reams, 17, with a last known address in Shamokin, will appear for criminal motion court on March 7 in Northumberland County before Judge William H. Wiest.

District Attorney Tony Rosini confirmed Monday that Reams' counsel, attorneys Kymberley Best and Tim Bowers, of Sunbury, will present a motion to have the case tried in juvenile court.

The 17-year-old remains in Northumberland County Prison on $750,000 bail. He faces six counts of aggravated assault, two counts each of recklessly endangering another person, fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, and charges of driving under the influence of a controlled substance, accidents involving death or personal injury and driver not properly licensed, along with 18 traffic citations, all while being charged as an adult in the case.

It was shortly after 1 a.m. when Sunbury police were attempting to clear the 400 block of North Fourth Street for street sweeping when they encountered Reams, who they said for unknown reasons fled in his car at speeds that would reach 70 mph.

When Reams slowed near Chestnut and Front streets, officers moved in, but police say Reams struck two police vehicles with his car, and caused minor injuries to one officer when he was briefly pinned at his car door.

Reams then revved his engine and drove toward another officer who had his gun drawn, police said, prompting the officer to fire. The shot went through the windshield and struck Reams near the sternum.

Reams spent 20 days in the hospital before being placed in a juvenile detention facility on an unrelated warrant. After being charged in the chase, he was committed to Northumberland County Prison, where operations commander Brian Wheary said in June he would be housed separately from the rest of the population.

Rosini found that the officer was justified in firing the shot.

In the days following, the Sunbury Police Department received "credible death threats" from those upset with the teenager being shot. The investigation into those threats remains open, Chief Stephen Mazzeo said.