Teen charged in bomb threat must repay cops
SUNBURY - A 17-year-old Mount Carmel female charged with calling in three bomb threats to Mount Carmel Area School District in October has been ordered to pay $2,118.13 in restitution for police services rendered at the scene.
During a hearing before Judge Charles H. Saylor on Tuesday, Crystal Nicole Clark was requested to pay a $521.54 to Pennsylvania State Police, $697.84 to Mount Carmel police and $898.75 to Mount Carmel Township police for their work involving the Oct. 9 bomb threat incident.
Northumberland County District Attorney Tony Rosini filed the motion for restitution based on cost figures received from police.
Clark, who resides at 106 N. Beech St., was represented by Northumberland County Conflicts Counsel John Broda.
Since Clark is not employed, Saylor granted the defendant time to make the restitution and asked juvenile probation authorities to assist her in finding a job in the summer so she can begin making payments.
On Oct. 12, Clark was adjudicated delinquent by Saylor on charges of terroristic threats, threats to use weapons of mass destruction, false alarms to public safety agencies and recklessly endangering another person. The charges were filed by Mount Carmel Township Patrolman David Stamets Jr.
Adjudicated in the juvenile court system is the equivalent of being found guilty in adult court.
An additional count of threats to use weapons of mass destruction and charges of causing or risking a catastrophe and disorderly conduct were withdrawn.
On Oct. 31, Clark was ordered by Saylor to be released from Lycoming County Shelter Program, attend the Pennsylvania Adolescent Treatment and Healing (PATH) program and perform 50 hours of community service. Clark, who has undergone a psychological evaluation and social services assessment, also was placed on juvenile probation supervision and ordered to attend alternative education classes and comply with other juvenile probation requirements.
The defendant was ordered to pay an assortment of fees and costs, write apology letters to Mount Carmel Area School District and Mount Carmel Township police, undergo random drug and alcohol testing and write a two-page essay entitled "How The Decisions I Make Affect Me and Everyone Else Around Me."
Clark told police she made the threats because she wanted a day off school and didn't believe police would catch her.
The bomb scare forced the evacuation of approximately 1,800 students, teachers and staff.
Clark, who was taken into custody Oct. 10, allegedly made three phone calls within a four-minute period stating, "There is a bomb in the school. Don't let nobody in the school."
The defendant, who moved to Mount Carmel with her family early last year from Baltimore, also was charged by Mount Carmel Patrolman Matthew Dillman with attacking her boyfriend with a knife Nov. 5 after being released from the juvenile shelter.
Clark was charged as an adult with two felony counts of aggravated assault, misdemeanors of simple assault and recklessly endangering another person, and a summary of harassment in connection with the assault that occurred at 44 W. Second St.
She is accused of entering the home of Dillon Pellegrino and punching him in the face. Police said Pellegrino's earring was ripped out of his right ear during the alleged assault.
Police said Clark then allegedly went to the kitchen, grabbed a knife with an 8-inch blade and went after the victim upstairs, where Pellegrino had barricaded himself in a bedroom. Pellegrino told police Clark was able to get in and began hitting him before being pulled off the victim by her mother, Stacey Brogan, and David Yates, who also lives in the residence. Yates told police he was able to grab the knife from Clark.
On Jan. 8, Clark pleaded guilty to simple assault and recklessly endangering another person and was sentenced by Saylor to serve 64 days to 23 1/2 months in Northumberland County Prison. Since Clark was given credit for 64 days previously spent in county jail, she was released because she served her minimum sentence.
Clark received the prison sentence on the simple assault charge and was given two years consecutive probation on the recklessly endangering offense. She also was ordered by Saylor to pay $50 in fines and various costs.