Steppin' Out is starting up again March 19
ELYSBURG - A new season of Steppin' Out will begin Tuesday, March 19.
Steppin' Out is a walk/jog/run program initiated in 2010 to engage women and girls 12 and older to become more fit and motivated to achieve healthy goals and to create a positive opportunity for them to unite.
Steppin Out sessions occur at 6 p.m. each Tuesday for about 12 weeks at Elysburg Community Park, site of the All Home Days celebration. Strollers are welcome. Registration is limited to 150 applicants on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cost is $30, although an early bird rate of $25 is available for those who register by March 12. There is no cost for those requesting a scholarship.
Paramount to the Steppin' Out program goals are the development of a positive and affordable program that allows participants to create their own fitness goals and achieve them, coupled with providing the tools to create lifelong changes in their overall health and well-being. It was developed to provide the tools, resources and motivation for participants to make their goals a reality, regardless of fitness level, inability to access a health program and/or financial constraints.
The Steppin' Out program includes:
- A brief educational session each week, then warm-up followed by a group/walk/run with motivational mentors, cool down and motivational message. Sessions last about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Specific "at-home" workout plans to incorporate family, etc.
- Brief educational sessions by local health care providers and other experts.
- Mentor support for each level of participant.
- Use of research-based exercise principles.
- Weekly motivational messages, online resources, links to services and personalized support. Accommodations for print materials and weekly phone contacts are made for those participants who are unable to access online information.
Each participant receives a Steppin' Out Technical Shirt after completing at least eight of the sessions (two of three each quarter), followed by a celebration and receipt of a certificate. All participants completing the program will have the base level of fitness to complete a 5 K walk/run; therefore, all interested participants are invited to complete a post program 5K with Steppin' Out mentors to coach them to the finish line.
The Steppin' Out leadership team is comprised of Cindy Wedde, RuthAnn Helfrick, Tara Maurer, Sherry Romanoskie and Mary Leshinskie.
Steppin' Out has developed a strong relationship with the All Home Days Association and the Ralpho Township Rotary, which support mutual goals.
Contact any one of the Steppin' Out leadership committee members with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration forms can be obtained by contacting the Steppin' Out committee at the Steppin Out Facebook page, through e-mail or at Little Britches Daycare in Elysburg.
Mail registrations (with the waiver) to Steppin' Out, attn.: Cindy Wedde, 197 Butternut Lane, Elysburg 17824.