Shamokin Township plans new process for fire company insurance claims
STONINGTON - Shamokin Township will soon have a memorandum of understanding with the Stonington Volunteer Fire Company for filing insurance claims.
At the township supervisors' meeting Wednesday night, solicitor Jim Bathgate discussed the memo which was requested by both sides after the fire company filed a property damage claim without the approval of supervisors in July.
Bathgate read a draft of the memorandum, which states that as long as the township is providing insurance coverage, the following procedures must be observed for filing a claim:
- The fire company must immediately contact any of the elected township supervisors, the township secretary or roadmaster concerning any potential claim the fire company believes needs to be asserted against the insurance policy. The township will review the claim and determine if it should be turned over to the insurance company and will notify the carrier.
- If there is a claim, the township will instruct the fire company to coordinate the claim with the insurance company.
- All bills and checks related to the claim will be processed through the township.
- The township will release any insurance proceeds check due and owing to the fire company, and the fire company will be responsible for any deductible.
- Nothing in the agreement obligates the township to provide any insurance to the fire company except what is required by law.
- The township will review on an annual basis whether to provide insurance coverage to the fire company.
No action was taken on the document since supervisor Greg Rachau was absent from the meeting, and Stonington Fire Company George Wolfe also asked for a copy of the document to review and show to firefighters.
"This is something I wrote about three or four months ago, but I have to take it back to the membership," Wolfe said.
Discussions were also held at the meeting on a revision of the fee schedules for various building and property permit and inspection fees, and supervisors reported the 2014 budget is currently being worked on.