SHAMOKIN - A preliminary hearing for a 15-year-old Shamokin boy charged with robbing a cell phone from a city man Jan. 6 while allegedly brandishing what appeared to be a handgun has been continued at the request of the arresting officer in the case.

Joel Santiago, of 819 E. Dewart St., who remains incarcerated at Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury in lieu of $100,000 cash bail, was originally scheduled for a hearing Tuesday before Magisterial District Judge John Gembic III on three felony counts of robbery, a felony of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two misdemeanor counts of possessing an instrument of crime, and misdemeanors of simple assault and loitering and prowling at night. But the legal proceeding was continued at the request of Shamokin Patrolman Raymond Siko II, although an exact date has not yet been scheduled.

The defendant, who was charged as an adult because of the serious nature of the offenses, will be represented by a county public defender or conflicts counsel at his hearing.

Santiago is accused of approaching Daniel McKimm, of 158 N. Eighth St., at about 9:15 p.m. and telling him he had five seconds to hand over his cell phone while threatening the victim with what appeared to be a handgun.

McKimm, 19, told police he threw his black T-Mobile phone, ran into his home and called police.

A short time later, guns drawn, police took Santiago into custody about six blocks away after they found him lying next to a parked car on Commerce Street between The News-Item and Center City Apartments.

Siko said the weapon allegedly used by Santiago, which was recovered, is a compressed-air pellet gun that is a replica of a semi-automatic handgun.

Santiago and a 12-year-old South Rock Street boy also were charged by Siko in connection with vehicle break-ins the same night.

The 12-year-old, who has cooperated with police, was not charged in connection with the robbery.

Police said some coins were removed from a Jeep on North Eighth Street owned by Dennis Cavanaugh shortly before Santiago allegedly threatened McKimm with the gun.