Rotary extends Hurricane Sandy collection deadline
Deadline has been extended until Sunday for collection of items by the Mount Carmel Rotary Club, along with Shamokin, Elysburg, Sunbury and other groups, for victims of Hurricane Sandy.
The goal is to fill a 53-foot tractor trailer with necessary items for victims. Karpinski Trucking, Sunbury, will be making the delivery.
Items being accepted are:
Cleaning supplies - Bleach, buckets, soap and detergents, mops, scrub brushes, brooms and plastic trash bags (heavy gauge).
Baby supplies - Diapers, baby wipes, baby formula and juice.
Food - Canned food, peanut butter and jelly, canned veggies/fruit, Ensure or equivalent, non-perishable food items.
Clothing (no used clothes for Ocean City N.J., area) - Work gloves, winter hats, new socks, new underwear (men's, women's or children's) and new baby clothes.
Household - Paper products, batteries, AA, C, D, pet food and supplies and ZipLock bags.
Personal - Bar soaps, hand sanitizer, feminine products, bathing and dental products, first aid items, peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, band aids, etc.
- Elysburg Rotary Club, contact Pam Yeager, 274-6083.
- Mount Carmel Rotary Club: contact Pam Konopka, 267-975-0240, or Frank Sawicki, 339-4170.
- Mount Carmel Area High School, 600 W. Fifth St. (for student drop-off only).
- Mount Carmel Area Public Library, 30 S. Oak St. Call 339-0703 or Pam Konopka's phone (267)975-0240.
- Pine Burr Inn, 70 E. State St, Route 61, Atlas, 339-3870, from noon until 5 p.m. daily.
- Shamokin Rotary Club, contact Judy Drumheller, 644-0229, or Sherry Shebelski, 648-4802.
- Bader's Furniture Store, corner of Sunbury and Liberty streets, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday.
- Sunbury Rotary Club, contact Cheryl Beeler, 286-9744.
- Degenstein Library, 40 W. Fifth St., first floor, Sunbury, 1 to 9 p.m., Monday and Thursday; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday.
When the trailer is full, items will be delivered to Church Of Grace and Peace in Toms River, N.J., to be distributed to those in need.