Reading teen hurt in vacant Kulpmont building
KULPMONT - A teen girl suffered minor injuries when her leg became tangled in a conveyor belt inside a vacant commercial building on Chestnut Street Tuesday.
Borough Patrolman Patrick McAndrew said the 14-year-old Reading girl was among several teens who were inside the vacant building. Her leg became entangled when the machinery suddenly turned on, according to police. She was taken by AREA Services Ambulance to Geisinger-Shamokin Area Community Hospital for treatment.
McAndrew did not name the girl but said she and three friends could face citations.
"They were up there goofing around," he said.
Emergency responders were dispatched for an "industrial rescue" at 1340 Chestnut St. at 3:23 p.m. The girl was in the building's third floor with three local kids about the same age when the accident occurred.
Matt Siko of the Kulpmont Fire Department said the girl's leg was pulled between the belt and metal on the machinery. He said a portion of it was quickly disassembled and the girl's leg was freed.
She was carried down a stairwell by Brian Balchunas of AREA Services and loaded into an ambulance. She was conscious and teary-eyed, and her friends were also shaken up.
The building was originally constructed as the weaving plant of J.K. and C.K. Eagle and Co. It had most recently been occupied by Buzzy Inc., which closed in 2011.
Also responding were Shamokin Emergency and Rescue Squad, Mount Carmel Area Rescue Squad and Anthracite Steam Fire Co., Mount Carmel.