SHAMOKIN - A city man wanted for breaking into a vacant house earlier this month was taken into custody Tuesday after jumping from a roof at his residence onto a neighboring property when officers attempted to serve him with a warrant.

James H. Latshaw, 48, of 126 E. Arch St., faces new offenses of flight to avoid apprehension and resisting arrest after previously being charged with theft, criminal trespass, loitering and prowling at night, criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and flight to avoid apprehension for allegedly breaking into a home in the 300 block of South Seventh Street.

The fugitive was detained overnight in Northumberland County Prison before being arraigned at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday by Magisterial District Judge John Gembic III. He was committed to prison in lieu of $40,000 cash bail on all charges.

According to a criminal complaint filed by Cpl. Bryan Primerano, police responded to Latshaw's residence shortly after 8 p.m. with a warrant from Gembic. Shamokin Patrolmen Nathan Rhodes and Scott Weaver and Coal Township Patrolman Edward Purcell knocked on the front door and spoke to an unidentified occupant who then walked upstairs.

Coal Township Patrolman Matthew Henrich, who was stationed at the rear of the residence, spotted Latshaw exit the home onto a roof. Police told Latshaw he was wanted and instructed him to come down from the roof, but the defendant refused to do so even though the home was surrounded by police and county probation officers, authorities said.

Officers said Latshaw jumped from the roof to a second-story residence on the east side of his home before leaping to the ground and running east through neighboring yards.

Latshaw encountered Coal Township Patrolman Terry Ketchem, changed his route to access Marshall Street and ran north, police said, despite their shouts for him to stop.

Probation officer Daniel Shoop caught up with Latshaw on Marshall Street and restrained him when the suspect ran into a fence. Latshaw was forced to the ground, but police said he resisted before being subdued and transported to Shamokin Police Station.


Shortly before midnight Aug. 10, police were notified that a burglary was in progress at a vacant property at 303 S. Seventh St.

The caller told police a male was inside the building while a female was waiting for him in a sport utility vehicle.

Primerano responded and spotted a sport utility vehicle occupied by Latshaw's girlfriend, Jennifer Geiser. The corporal then conducted a vehicle stop a few blocks away on Geiser, who told the officer she had been waiting to pick up Latshaw at 303 S. Seventh St., but left when she saw neighbors watching her.

Geiser has not been charged.

Shamokin Cpl. Jarrod Scandle, who responded to the burglary with Purcell and Henrich, saw Latshaw run from the property into a yard. Purcell then went to Latshaw's home, where he spotted the defendant outside his front door. Latshaw fled through his home into the back yard before running through neighboring yards despite being warned to stop by police, who formed a perimeter around the 100 block of East Arch Street.

Latshaw ran from a yard east on Arch Street, south on Marshall Street and onto Gold Street, where he descended the "Patsy Steps" leading to South Rock Street and managed to elude police.

Police said Latshaw, before fleeing, had a bucket of car alternators that belonged to the homeowner.

Police said Latshaw also caused damage to private property and landscaping by running and trespassing into yards in the 100 block of East Arch Street.