Police: No connection in bomb threat, Reams case
SUNBURY - Sunbury Police Chief Stephen Mazzeo said Monday there does not appear to be a connection between Friday afternoon's bomb threat at Northumberland County Courthouse and a pre-trial conference for 17-year-old Naheem Reams that was listed on the county court schedule that day, but was previously postponed.
Mazzeo said officers are working to determine who made the threat in a phone call to the court administrator's office. The police chief said the phone number was tracked to a California company and officers are working to learn the service provider toward discovering the owner's identity.
A separate threat, one Mazzeo said is unrelated to Friday's bomb scare, was made toward city police officers one day after Reams was shot by police. That case remains open.
Reams was shot by a city police officer at the culmination of a high-speed chase in Sunbury on June 5. He is facing multiple charges including aggravated assault.
Reams' attorney, Kymberley Best, of Sunbury, said a status conference was held Tuesday that resulted in a decertification hearing being scheduled for her client to determine if his case will be moved from adult to juvenile court.
Best said the hearing was initially scheduled for Nov. 12, but she requested and was granted a 30-day extension by Northumberland County Judge William H. Wiest to allow a psychologist to conduct an evaluation of Reams to determine if he is amenable to rehabilitation in the juvenile system.
During the status conference, Best said the court agreed to appoint Dr. Glenn Jacobson of the Selinsgrove area to conduct the psychological examination. She said Northumberland County District Attorney Tony Rosini, who is prosecuting the case, did not object to the appointment.
Best said the commonwealth will pay for the evaluation because Reams is a minor and indigent.
Another motion by Best to immediately transfer Reams from Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury to a secure juvenile facility was denied by Wiest. Best said Reams will remain at the county prison at least until the decertification hearing is held.
Deputy Court Administrator Kevin O'Hearn said Friday's bomb threat caused the postponement of approximately 20 pre-trials in the afternoon before Judge Charles H. Saylor and five guilty plea proceedings before President Judge Robert B. Sacavage. Wiest had no hearings scheduled.
O'Hearn said some of the legal proceedings were rescheduled for Monday, while others were continued indefinitely.
Sacavage previously said the bomb threat was made by telephone to a secretary in the court administrator's office about 1 p.m. The entire courthouse was evacuated within minutes, he said.
According to Sacavage, who was in the court administrator's office at the time, the caller said, "There's a bomb in the courthouse and get the **** out."
"(The secretary) sort of made an exclamation, 'Oh, my God,' hung up the phone and said there was a bomb threat," he said.
Deputy Sheriff Randy Coe was immediately informed, followed by other courthouse personnel. Word spread quickly and the evacuation ensued.
Evacuees were directed across Market Street to Cameron Park. The crowd was dispersed before 2 p.m. after the court schedule was canceled and the building was closed for the day.