SHAMOKIN - Police here have identified and charged a 59-year-old Shamokin man who allegedly assaulted his wife and threatened to kill her, police and himself during a standoff at his Market Street apartment building Tuesday night.

Joseph Menapace, of 12 N. Market St., Apt. 12-1-B, was arraigned by video at about 12:15 p.m. Wednesday by Magisterial District Judge John Gembic III on misdemeanors of recklessly endangering another person, terroristic threats, simple assault and disorderly conduct, and a summary of harassment.

The charges were filed by Patrolman William Zalinski.

Following the 8:30 p.m. disturbance Tuesday that forced police to evacuate civilians from the area and cordon off the first block of North Market Street for about 40 minutes, Menapace was taken into custody and later transported by AREA Services Ambulance to Geisinger Medical Center in Danville for evaluation. But sometime Wednesday morning, Menapace was released from the hospital and called his wife, Lucinda Menapace, whom he allegedly assaulted the night before, for a ride home.

Police said Lucinda Menapace refused to give her husband a ride; however, he showed up at their apartment shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday and began banging on the door, demanding his wallet. Mrs. Menapace summoned police and her husband was once again taken into custody at approximately 9:30 a.m. by several officers, including Zalinski, Chief of Police Edward Griffiths and Patrolmen Nathan Rhodes and William Miner.

Menapace was detained at the station until his arraignment and then transported by Zalinski and Special Officer I Robert Searls to Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury after failing to post $10,000 cash bail.

Police not notified

Griffiths said his department wasn't notified about Menapace's release from Geisinger. The chief said he didn't know how Menapace got back to Shamokin Wednesday morning.

According to a criminal complaint, Lucinda Menapace said her husband assaulted her and claimed he had a handgun and was going to harm her and himself. Police said the defendant stated he "was not going down alone."

After the threats, Lucinda Menapace ran upstairs to a neighbor's apartment, where she called police.

While en route to the apartment building, police received a report of a suicidal male at the same address who had a pistol.

Zalinski and Cpl. Jarrod Scandle then radioed for assistance from Coal Township and Ralpho Township police.

Upon arriving at the scene, Mrs. Menapace, who suffered abrasions on her right hand and swelling on her right wrist as a result of her husband slamming a door on her hand, told police she didn't believe her husband had a gun, but wasn't certain. She told officers that her husband suffered from mental health issues in the past and had been drinking all day.

After evacuating the area, police were able to make telephone contact with the defendant, who refused to exit the apartment peacefully. Zalinski said Menapace threatened to fight police if they came in after him and claimed he was going to hang himself.

After Menapace was engaged in a lengthy conversation with Zalinski, Scandle and officers from Coal Township and Ralpho Township rushed into the apartment and took Menapace into custody without further incident.