New Life Church to mark 130th anniversary
MOUNT CARMEL - In 1883, 130 years ago, love and labor devoutly offered by dedicated, hard-working clergy and parishioners began to build and establish Mount Carmel's New Life Church Of God.
On Sunday, the church will mark this occasion with its 130th year celebration service at 10:30 a.m., and luncheon following the service.
At its beginning and up to the present, the church has continued its tradition of service to the community and beyond with the same love and labor of current outstandingly dedicated and hard-working clergy, staff, and parishioners.
The New Life Church of God had its beginning in October 1883, at the east side of Mount Carmel on North Chestnut Street. In 1897, it relocated to its present location at 129 W. Second St. From 1923 to 1925, an exquisitely crafted, large extension was added to the building to facilitate the church's rapid growth.
During the church building's Second Street construction and later extension addition, extreme care was given to architectural design and detailed craftsmanship, making the church building one of the most beautiful centers for prayer, worship, and music in the area.
The church also has a spacious, fully equipped cooking and dining fellowship hall in the basement, including classrooms/offices, complete separate restrooms and a raised stage for formal presentations and entertainments.
The church's history is one of ardent and continuous service to the community. During the Second World War, the church basement was a designated safe air raid shelter, complete with well planned periodic air raid practice drills. The Girl Scouts and other international, national, and local well-known organizations use the basement and church facility rooms for its meetings and functions.
The church members and staff look forward to meeting and greeting the public who will visit and attend the special anniversary celebration and luncheon.