MC4A awards scholarships to students
MOUNT CARMEL - The Mount Carmel Area Athletic Alumni Association (MC4A) held its sixth annual membership meeting and scholarship drawing awards dinner Aug. 3 at Mattucci's Willow Café. Attending were members and students who applied for the scholarship awards.
MC4A is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide scholarships for Mount Carmel Area students who have participated in a sport or supported interscholastic athletic programs while attending Mount Carmel Area High School, and in doing so, also establish a bond between graduates and current students.
Following the meeting, the scholarship awards drawing was held, in which six scholarships were awarded. The awards ceremony was hosted by Dan Ficca and Robert Colahan. The members, applicants and their parents were welcomed, and it was noted that 44 students applied for the awards.
A change was made to the dollar amount of the awards, increasing them from $1,500
to $2,000. If a winning student is a current dues-paying member or if any family member is a current member, the award is increased to $2,500.
Award recipients are:
- Michael Fletcher, a son of Susan and Michael Fletcher, of Kulpmont, and a graduate student at Drexel Univrsity majoring in biology/biochemistry. At Mount Carmel Area, Fletcher participated in soccer, baseball, track and field, cross country, intramural basketball and indoor track.
- Meghan Hynoski, a daughter of Tom and Maryanna Hynoski, of Aristes, and a
senior at Bloomsburg University majoring in speech pathology. At Mount Carmel Area, Hynoski participated in powderpuff football and intramural volleyball and was a four-year track and field athlete.
- Hannah Kolody, a daughter of Harry and Lori Kolody, of Mount Carmel, and a senior at Bloomsuburg University, majoring in nursing. At Mount Carmel Area, Kolody participated in soccer, swimming and track.
- James Lesko, II, a son of James and Corrine Lesko, of Kulpmont, and a senior at Bloomsburg University, majoring in philosophy and economics. At Mount Carmel Area, Lesko participated in freshman football, basketball, baseball and intramural basketball.
- Quinn McCracken, a son of David and Vivian McCracken, of Mount Carmel, and a sophomore at College of the Holy Cross, majoring in history. At Mount Carmel Area, McCracken participated in wrestling, football, track and field, intramural basketball and intramural dodgeball.
- Bernard Nestico Jr., a son of Bernie and Jan Nestico, of Kulpmont, and a senior at Bloomsburg University, majoring in hstory. At Mount Carmel Area, Nestico participated in band for five years.
The applicants were encouraged to continue to do well in furthering their education and were reminded that they can apply again next year if they continue to meet the qualifications. Before the ceremony, food and refreshments were available to all.
For more information about the organization and its scholarship awards, go to www.mc4a.org or contact Ficca at 373-5936 .