SUNBURY - A Sunbury man will serve four to 10 years in relation to a 2011 fire at a city apartment while three people, including an infant, were inside.

Randy L. Hay, 47, of Sunbury, who was convicted by a jury May 18, 2012, of felony counts of arson and related charges in connection with a 2011 fire in Sunbury, was sentenced Wednesday morning by Northumberland County Judge Charles Saylor to four to 10 years in state prison and two years consecutive probation.

The defendant was sentenced to three to eight years in state prison on one arson count and received a consecutive sentence of one to two years for risking a catastrophe. He also was sentenced to two consecutive years of probation on a recklessly endangering charge and was given one to two years of jail time on a second count of arson that will run concurrent to the first count.

All other charges were merged for sentencing purposes.

Hay, who was given credit for 499 days of prison time previously served, was ordered to make $350 restitution to Perry Caranhan for property damage and pay $200 in fines and $50 per month in supervision fees.

Hay, who absconded from authorities after his trial and fled to Virginia, was charged by Sunbury Patrolman Stephen Bennick with a Feb. 19, 2011, fire at 417 Walnut St., Apt. 2, that caused approximately $350 damage.

According to a criminal complaint, Hay was accused of using an accelerant to ignite a wooden door frame at the apartment of Tabitha Castle at 5:30 a.m. Castle, a 1-year-old child and Robert L. Black were inside the apartment at the time. Also placed in danger of death or serious bodily injury as a result of the fire were 10 other people, including three young children who resided in adjoining apartments.

Hay was charged with two counts each of arson endangering persons and arson endangering property, two counts of recklessly endangering another person and one count each of risking a catastrophe and criminal mischief.

The defendant was originally scheduled to be sentenced by Saylor Aug. 13, 2012, but he failed to appear in court, which prompted the judge to issue a bench warrant for his arrest. He was apprehended in early October 2013 in Virginia, where he was detained for 48 days before being extradited to Northumberland County Prison Nov. 23, 2013.

He was previously incarcerated at the county jail from April 25, 2011, to Jan. 6, 2012.

Hay, who was represented by attorney Richard Feudale, of Mount Carmel, will remain in the county prison until being transferred to a state correctional institution.