Kulpmont man, blind dog escape kitchen fire
KULPMONT - A Kulpmont man and his 14-year-old dog escaped injury when a grease fire broke out in the kitchen of their North Fifth Street home shortly after 5 p.m. Friday.
John Slodysko, 61, of 501 N. Fifth St., said he was ready to cook french fries on his stove when grease in a pan reportedly ignited, causing moderate damage to the appliance, wall and cabinets in his kitchen. Slodysko, who was in his computer room when he heard the smoke alarm activate, said he attempted to douse the grease fire with a fire extinguisher, but it didn't work. Slodysko, whose home is located in a wooded area near Ash Street, is insured.
The Kulpmont man and his Boston Terrier named Bandit, which is blind, were able to safely exit the home. The dog just turned 14 on Thursday, Slodysko said.
Kulpmont firefighters quickly responded to the scene and contained the fire to the kitchen area. Kulpmont Fire Chief Raymond Siko II said heavy smoke filled the residence while the kitchen area sustained moderate fire damage. Fans were used to clear smoke from the home.
The scene was cleared at about 6 p.m.
Also assisting were Kulpmont Assistant Fire Chiefs Kevin O'Hearn and Jeff Gilotti, Atlas firefighters, borough fire police, Kulpmont and Mount Carmel Township police, AREA Services Ambulance and Shamokin Emergency Squad.