Knights raising funds for Arc
MOUNT CARMEL - It's time for the Bishop Lawrence F. Schott Council 628 Knights of Columbus to "Measure Up" again.
Over the past 34 years, the Pennsylvania Knights campaign for the state and local chapters of the Arc has raised more then $5.5 million statewide for the benefit of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. An ambitious goal of $200,000 has been set for 2013.
The Mount Carmel Knights will be conducting a church drive at all Masses: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church Saturday and Sunday; Divine Redeemer Church, Saturday, April 27, and Sunday, April 28, and Saint Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church, Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5.
Those wishing to "Measure Up" can send their donations to Bishop Lawrence F. Schott Council 628, 128 W. Third St., Mount Carmel. Check should be made out to the council.
The Arc is a national network of affiliated nonprofit organizations of and for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Locally, residents of Northumberland County are serviced by The Arc, Susquehanna Valley, which also works with residents of Columbia, Montour, Snyder and Union counties.
In 2012, more than $140,000 was raised throughout the commonwealth. Of the funds raised each year, 75 percent stays in the county where it is raised; the other 25 percent is used by The Arc of Pennsylvania for its mission in Harrisburg.
This year's campaign runs from April 6 through May 26.