ATLAS - An Atlas man was charged with causing more than $15,000 in damage to five parked vehicles in hit-and-run accidents in the 400 and 500 blocks of the village in April and remains incarcerated.

Thomas Joseph Ferrari, 46, of 333 W. Saylor St., who faces a felony of criminal mischief and summaries of careless driving and hit and run filed by Mount Carmel Township Chief of Police Brian Hollenbush, is currently an inmate at Berks County Prison.

After being charged with the offenses June 25, Ferrari was committed to Northumberland County Prison on July 1 in lieu of $25,000 cash bail. He then waived his right to a preliminary hearings on the charges before Magisterial District Judge Hugh Jones on July 9 and was able to post bail the same day.

But he remained imprisoned for a parole violation out of Berks County, where he was transferred July 14.

At about 7 a.m. April 22 in the 400 block of West Girard Street, police said Ferrari was driving a maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a 17-foot long pole sticking out the front passenger window and rear driver's side door. The pole struck a 2005 Buick owned by James M. Bush Sr. and Betty Jean Bush, causing $1,434.16 in damage; a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse owned by Charles M. and Jeanette P. Yeager, causing $7,140.81 in damage, and a 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe owned by Scott and Deborah Weaver, causing $913.54 in damage.

Ferrari then drove onto the 500 block of West Girard Street, where the pole struck a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox owned by Anthony Rossi, causing $2,950.34 in damage, and a 2004 Chevrolet Impala owned by Greg Barkus, causing $2,960.82 in damage.

Police said total damage to the five vehicles was $15,399.67.

Shortly after the incident, police received a call from a man who reported seeing a vehicle matching the description of Ferrari's car parked in front of SOS Metals Inc. along Route 54 near Strong. The caller said he could see the piece of pipe sticking out of the car on both sides.

When police arrived at SOS Metals and confronted Ferrari, he indicated he was going to return to the scene and write on napkins to place on the vehicles he hit, admitting he caused the damage.