Hearing in Barbour case to compel discovery evidence
SUNBURY - A hearing will be held 9:15 a.m. April 1 on a motion filed by Miranda Barbour's attorney to compel discovery evidence from the district attorney's office in a murder case that has drawn international attention.
In a related order issued Friday, Northumerland County Judge Charles Saylor granted permission to the commonwealth to preserve hard drives from Troy LaFerrara's computer and his mother's computer seized by police upon the execution of a search warrant.
LaFerrara was found stabbed to death in a yard in Sunbury in November. Miranda Barbour, 19, and her 22-year-old husband, Elytte Barbour, are charged with homicide in the Port Trevorton man's death.
Saylor said preserving the hard drives will allow the defense attorneys or an expert of their choosing to examine them in the future.
The discovery evidence and hard drive issues were among the issues discussed during a two-hour conference Wednesday between Saylor, district attorney Tony Rosini, first assistant district attorney Ann Targonski, Miranda Barbour's attorneys Edward Greco and Paige Rosini, and Elytte Barbour's counsel James Best.
Miranda, who was initially jailed at Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury, remains incarcerated at SCI-Muncy, but will be allowed to confer with Greco at Northumberland County Prison on occasion when she has legal proceedings coming up at the courthouse. Elytte was transferred last week from Columbia County Prison in Bloomsburg to Northumberland County Prison.
Greco, who is the county chief public defender, said he is pleased with the stipulations made by attorneys in the case regarding his access to his client.
Greco, who was not aware his client was being moved to SCI-Muncy, previously claimed the transfer violated Barbour's constitutional rights and harmed his ability to prepare a defense since he wouldn't be able to easily communicate with Barbour.
Northumberland County Prison Warden Roy Johnson, who decided to transfer Barbour to SCI-Muncy, was scheduled to testify at a Feb. 28 hearing before Saylor to show just cause for his decision to transfer the defendant. But that hearing was canceled when stipulations were reached in the case involving Greco's access to Miranda Barbour.
During last week's prison board meeting, Johnson said the international attention about Barbour's claim to The Daily Item that she killed more than 22 people has disrupted security and efficiency at the prison, which among other issues, prompted her transfer.