Gaming fund to benefit local fire companies
HARRISBURG - Nearly $250,000 in state gaming funds will benefit 20 local volunteer fire and ambulance providers serving communities in the 108th Legislative District in Northumberland and Snyder counties, Rep. Lynda Schlegel Culver (R-108) said today.
The grants are part of the Pennsylvania Fire Company and Ambulance Service Grant Program, which is administered by the Pennsylvania Office of Fire Commissioner within the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA).
"This grant program allows each station to use the state funding in a way that best meets their needs," Culver said in a release. "I am pleased with how many of our area units applied to be considered for this grant program this year. The communities for which each station serves will benefit as a result."
Culver's announcement comes on the heels of 36 other fire companies in the 107th Legislative District receiving over $425,000 in funds from the same grant program, according to Rep. Kurt Masser (R-107)
As part of the grant program, recipients can use the funding to build, repair or renovate a fire company or ambulance service's primary structure; purchase or repair firefighting, ambulance or rescue equipment; participate in training seminars and workshops; or pay down the organization's debt.
The following fire and emergency medical services serving the 108th District were awarded the following amounts:
- Americus Hose Company, Sunbury - $13,619.31
- East Sunbury Hose Company No. 1, Sunbury - $12,767.12
- Friendship Hose Company, Sunbury - $13,458.11
- Good Will Hose Company, Inc., Sunbury - $12,972.07
- Herndon Fire Company No. 1 Inc., Herndon - $12,000
- Hickory Corners and Community Fire Company, Dalmatia - $12,000
- Lower Augusta Volunteer Fire Department, Sunbury - $12,000
- Lower Mahanoy Fire Company, Dalmatia - $12,000
- Milton Fire Department Inc., EMS, Milton - $7,091.40
- Milton Fire Department Inc., Milton - $13,458.11
- Northumberland Fire Company, No. 1, Northumberland - $12,000
- Northumberland Hook and Ladder Company, Northumberland - $12,647.24
- Point Township Fire Company, Northumberland - $12,486.03
- Potts Grove Volunteer Fire Company, Potts Grove - $12,647.24
- Rescue Hose Company No. 1, Sunbury - $13,295.29
- Southside Fire Company No. 1, Riverside - $12,647.24
- Tuckahoe Volunteer Fire Company, Northumberland - $12,161.20
- Upper Augusta Volunteer Fire Company, Sunbury - $13,619.31
- Hummels Wharf Volunteer Fire Company, Hummels Wharf - $12,647.24
- Shamokin Dam Volunteer Fire Company, No. 1 Shamokin Dam - $13,573.95.