Fire leaves one Shamokin man homeless
SHAMOKIN - Two homes were condemned and one person was left homeless following a fire early Wednesday on West Gowen Street.
Shamokin Fire Bureau Deputy Chief Jason Zimmerman said crews were dispatched at 3:50 a.m. for a dwelling fire in the area of the 600 block of West Spruce Street. Members of an AREA Services ambulance crew who responded reported the fire was actually at a double home at 620 and 622 W. Gowen St.
Firefighters used several hand lines to control and extinguish the blaze, and were back in service at approximately 8:30 a.m., Zimmerman said.
"We thank all the members who came out and did an excellent job stopping the fire," he said.
He said there were no injuries.
No one was home at the time, according to Shamokin City Police Patrolman Ray Siko, the investigating officer.
One owner insured
The residence at 620 W. Gowen St. is owned by Kathleen Llewellyn, of Wilmington, Del. Her brother, Joseph Llewellyn, resides there. Joseph was away at the time of the fire, visiting relatives out-of-town.
The Llewellyn home received heavy fire, smoke and water damage. Siko said Kathleen Llewellyn is insured for the property and some contents. He didn't know if Joseph Llewellyn had coverage for his contents.
The other half of the home, 622 W. Gowen St., was vacant. Siko is working with Shamokin Code Enforcement officer Rick Bozza to determine the owner. That residence sustained moderate fire and water damage.
Siko said the blaze is still under investigation, and that he'd be back at the scene Friday. He believes he knows the point of origin, and said the fire does not appear to be suspicious.
Code enforcement officials condemned both properties and PPL Electric Utilities and Aqua Pennsylvania were on the scene to secure utilities.
All Shamokin fire stations and Coal Township's Maine Fire Company, in addition to AREA, responded.