SHAMOKIN TOWNSHIP - Two occupants were left homeless after a fire early Christmas morning destroyed their mobile home.

Stonington Fire Chief Kerry Yordy said fire crews were called at approximately 2:30 a.m. to a fire at the 65-foot mobile home of Paul Shingara at 4504 State Route 61. The home stands about 1 1/2 miles from the intersection of Routes 61 and 487.

Shingara and his girlfriend, Tammy Zelinsky, escaped from the home wearing only the sleepwear they had on at the time.

"When I arrived there were flames coming out of every window," Yordy said Tuesday afternoon. "It was a mobile home, and those tend to go up rather quickly."

Yordy said the fire, accidental in nature, was caused by a wood burner in the living room.

Shingara, who suffered a foot laceration, was treated at the scene by ambulance crews. A female firefighter from Sunbury had to be taken to a hospital because of an anxiety attack. She was treated and released.

Yordy said that the home is a total loss, but that Shingara had a small amount of insurance on the place.

The couple were staying with next-door neighbors following the blaze, and the Red Cross were called to help with clothing for them.

Crews were back in service by 4:30 a.m. Yordy said firefighters had no problems fighting the blaze, despite below-freezing temperatures and a fresh coating of snow on the ground.

"We didn't have any problems with the lines freezing or getting our footing," Yordy said. "There was a PennDOT crew on site watching for slick spots with salt trucks at the ready. They closed the roadway for the time we were on scene."

Emergency crews from Stonington, Elysburg, Overlook, Shamokin, Coal Township, Sunbury and Upper Augusta and Lower Augusta townships responded to the two-alarm fire.