MOUNT CARMEL - The family of a 29-year-old woman allegedly raped by an East Cameron Township man Jan. 27 held their emotions in check during Wednesday's preliminary hearing for the defendant, but afterward, openly expressed their anger over the crime.

"I'd like him to die in jail for what he did to my sister," said a sibling of the victim who resides in East Cameron Township.

The victim's mother, who also resides in East Cameron Township, added, "I believe mothers of this world should give out the punishment in these sex crimes. Then maybe, there would be less of them. I hope he gets all the sex he wants in prison."

The victim's father, who lives in Sabina, Ohio, near Cincinnati, added, "All I can say is that he will get his in jail."

All that frustration and anger was vented toward Kenneth Eugene Wertz, of 4178 Upper Road, who is charged by Trooper David Townsend of state police at Stonington with two counts each of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and aggravated indecent assault, and one count of simple assault. All the charges except the misdemeanor of simple assault are felonies.

Wertz waived his right to a hearing before Magisterial District Judge Hugh Jones and was recommitted to Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury in lieu of $100,000 cash bail.

Jones ordered the defendant to appear for a pre-trial conference April 5 at Northumberland County Courthouse in Sunbury, where he can plead guilty or no contest, or seek a trial by pleading not guilty.

The defendant was represented by Northumberland County Public Defender Paige Rosini. First Assistant District Attorney Ann Targonski prosecuted the case.

Wertz is accused of raping a woman with a learning disability at his home. In addition to allegedly raping the victim, Wertz is accused of throwing a telephone that struck her in the left eye, causing injury.

The victim was at the hearing in case she had to testify.

According to a criminal complaint, the victim, who reportedly was raped on a couch in the living room, did not want to have sex with Wertz, who allegedly forced himself on the victim and took her cell phone her when she attempted to grab it. After allegedly being raped, police said the victim attempted to use a house telephone, which Wertz took and used to hit her in the eye.

During an interview with police, Wertz admitted to raping the victim, and hitting her in the eye with a phone, but claimed it was an accident.