Electrical fire contained to kitchen
ATLAS - The quick work of firefighters and the alertness of a family prevented a small fire from spreading to adjoining row homes early Friday morning.
Firefighters contained fire damage to a five-by-five foot area in the kitchen of 201 W. Girard St. after the family of four smelled smoke shortly after midnight. The home is the first of 10 row homes attached in the block, which made getting to the scene in quick fashion even more important for firefighters, fire chief Charles Gasperetti said.
"There was minimal damage," he said. "We knocked it down with a (water) can before it spread into the wall and into the second (floor)."
Gasperetti said the fire was electrical in nature and originated between a receptacle and a junction box in a kitchen wall. The Red Cross was expected Friday afternoon to contact the family, who were staying at a motel following the fire.
The chief credited firefighters from Atlas Engine 21, Mount Carmel Anthracite Engine 2, and Mount Carmel Rescue 5 for their quick response.
"They made a good stop on it," Gasperetti said. "The family is very lucky they weren't sleeping."