County trims number of voting precintcs in Shamokin, Mount Carmel area
SUNBURY - Northumberland County will save approximately $24,000 by consolidating 21 voting precincts into 10 in Mount Carmel, Mount Carmel Township, Shamokin and Zerbe Township.
Commissioners Richard Shoch and Vinny Clausi passed a resolution Tuesday authorizing Alisha Herb, chief registrar of the county board of elections office, to petition the Court of Common Pleas to consolidate the precincts.
Commissioner Stephen Bridy, who realizes the consolidations will save money and are probably needed, still opposed the plan because he believes too many of the affected precincts are located in the Mount Carmel area. He said the consolidations should have been done more equitably throughout the county.
Herb said the resolution must be posted for 10 days. She said if there is no opposition to the move, the consolidations will take effect for the May 21 primary election.
The chief registrar and director of the board of elections office said the move will save the county $12,000 per election or $24,000 per year in poll workers' salaries, rent, paperwork and supplies.
Herb said the primary reason for the consolidations is the low number of voters in each of the precincts. She said residents will not have to travel much further to vote in their new precincts.
Nine precincts will be consolidated into four in Mount Carmel, while four precincts will be consolidated into two in Mount Carmel Township. In Shamokin, six precincts will be consolidated into three. The two voting precincts in Zerbe Township will be reduced to one.
The following is a list of the consolidations:
- Mount Carmel Borough 1st Ward, 1st Precinct (318 voters) and 1st Ward, 2nd Precinct (276 voters) into Mount Carmel Borough 1st Ward (594 voters), St. Michael's Orthodox Church.
- Mount Carmel Borough 2nd Ward, 1st Precinct (426) and 2nd Ward, 2nd Precinct (368) into Mount Carmel Borough 2nd Ward (794), Mount Carmel Area Rescue Squad.
- Mount Carmel Borough 3rd Ward, 1st Precinct (521), 3rd Ward, 2nd Precinct (395) and 3rd Ward, 3rd Precinct (312), into Mount Carmel Borough 3rd Ward (1,228), Mount Carmel Senior Action Center.
- Mount Carmel Borough 4th Ward, 1st Precinct (478) and 4th Ward, 2nd Precinct (528) into Mount Carmel Borough 4th Ward (1,006), Mount Carmel Borough Hall (former Mount Carmel Elementary School).
- Mount Carmel Township Diamond (404) and Exchange districts (354) into Mount Carmel Township Diamond/Exchange District (758), Atlas Legion.
- Mount Carmel Township Natalie (114) and Strong districts (220) into Mount Carmel Township Natalie/Strong District (334), Strong Fire Company.
- Shamokin City 2nd Ward, 1st Precinct (244) and 2nd Ward, 2nd Precinct (235) into Shamokin City Second Ward (479 voters), St. Francis Home Association.
- Shamokin City 4th Ward, 1st Precinct (352) and 4th Ward, 2nd Precinct (390) into Shamokin City 4th Ward (742), Raspberry Hill Community Room.
- Shamokin City 5th Ward, 1st Precinct (295) and 5th Ward, 2nd Precinct (379) into Shamokin City 5th Ward (674), Mother Cabrini Church Hall.
- Zerbe Township East District (682) and Zerbe Township West District (361) into Zerbe Township District (1,043), American Legion, Trevorton.