Area residents make pilgrimage to St. Mary's Historic Site in Baltimore
KULPMONT - A bus pilgrimage sponsored by the Saint Pauline Center in Kulpmont recently visited the St. Mary's Historic Site in Baltimore, Md. The Rev. Orloski is the center's spiritual moderator.
The Rev. John Kemper, a native of Kulpmont, a priest of the Diocese of Harrisburg and member of the Society of St. Sulpice, has been working for the past several years to restore and revitalize the historic site.
The site includes the Historic Seminary Chapel that once serviced the spiritual needs of the first Roman Catholic seminary in the United States (1791) and the Mother Seton House (1808) that was once the home of Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born canonized saint in the Catholic Church.
The final phase of the historic site renovation was work done on the interior of the chapel. The marble altar was constructed from the two side altars from the former St. Joseph's Church in Mount Carmel. Kemper enlisted the craftmanship of Giorgini Construction and Z's Tiles, which are both area businesses.
Kemper noted that with the repurposed marble coming from a closed church in Mount Carmel and the local craftsmanship that worked on the restoration of the sanctuary, there are strong ties between the historic site and the Kulpmont-Mount Carmel area.
For more information on the site, go to www.stmarysspiritualcenter.org, or Facebook at St. Mary's Historic Site on Paca Street.