SHAMOKIN - Six men, including two with alleged connections to the "Goon Squad," have been charged following Saturday's fight on South Market Street.

Cpl. Darwin Tobias III on Wednesday filed misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges against Timothy M. Nye, 30, and Raymond Keith Eltringham, 32, both of 309 S. Fifth St., Shamokin; Ahkil Lee, 20, of 220 N. Vine St., Shamokin; Peter Pereira, 20, of 18 S. Market St., Apt. 4, Shamokin; Tajuan Crum, 18, of 825 W. Spruce St., Coal Township, and John W. Lee Jr., 37, of 3236 N. 16th St., Philadelphia.

The fight came six days after a city teen was assaulted on East Independence Street by some alleged members of the Goon Squad.

Chief of Police Edward Griffiths said he's not expecting any further trouble, "but we still have to be on our toes."

He doesn't believe there's a need for increased patrols in the downtown district or other areas of the city, but may consider it if more fights break out.

"These guys are a bunch of wannabees," Griffiths said. "I don't feel the assault and fight were gang-related. I'm confident they were isolated incidents."

Pereira and Crum are alleged members of the "Goon Squad," some of whose members were allegedly involved in the Feb. 23 assault of 18-year-old Keith "KC" Long. None of the five teens charged in that assault was involved in Saturday's disturbance, police said.

Long suffered injuries that required hospital treatment and follow-up dental care.

Pereira lives in the same apartment building as Ryan Forte, 18, who was charged with assaulting Long and is incarcerated at Northumberland County Prison in Sunbury on $100,000 cash bail. Police claim Forte is the alleged leader of the Goon Squad, which city police say has been involved in fights, vandalism and intimidation during the past two months.

Forte's preliminary hearing on the charges that was scheduled for earlier this week was continued until March 18 before Magisterial District Judge John Gembic III.

Police reported Saturday afternoon's fight caused a large group of people to gather on the first block of South Market. When officers arrived, they observed a fight in progress involving four males. Witnesses reported hearing a loud verbal argument before the disturbance turned physical. Witnesses said when others attempted to break up the fight, the combatants tried to assault them, which caused more people to join the fracas.

At one point, witnesses told police numerous people were fighting on the ground.

Griffiths believes police have the situation under control.

"I don't believe the citizens of Shamokin have to be fearful of being assaulted," he said. "We have a zero tolerance for this type of behavior and will continue to arrest anyone fighting in the street."