COAL TOWNSHIP - State Police Fire Marshal Kirk Renn said Friday the cause of an Independence Day fire at 1262 Chemung St. is undetermined, but it is not suspicious.
Joe Bielski, who lived in the house all his life, said his son discovered the fire in the area of a stove in the second-story kitchen at the four-story home. The fire marshal said the home owner’s information was “consistent” with what he discovered.
The fire was reported to 9-1-1 at 6:22 a.m. Thursday. It was so far along when firefighters arrived that they kept to an exterior attack, opting not to enter the structure.
Joe was in Sunbury driving home from work at the time of the blaze. His wife smelled smoke and woke their son to check around the house, he said. William, 22, burned his hand in the process. The Bielskis’ daughters were asleep at the time. They were awoken and all four escaped.
See Saturday's print and online editions for more information.