ATLAS — A fire that destroyed a West Girard Street apartment building is not considered suspicious.
Brian Hollenbush, Mount Carmel Township fire marshal, said Saturday that 101-103 W. Girard St. caught fire due to a faulty electrical outlet. He deemed the blaze an accident.
The building is likely a total loss, he said, and its occupants were uninsured.
There had been three suspicious fires in Atlas over the past week, raising suspicions that Saturday’s fire would be the fourth; however, that is not the case.The fire was first reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. It was brought under control within the hour and the scene was cleared at 6:40 p.m.The fire was first reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. It was brought under control within the hour and the scene was cleared at 6:40 p.m.
Read Sunday’s print and online editions of The News-Item for more details.